Sometimes I cannot smile

Sometimes I cannot smile is a personal intimate journey inside the Greenlandic juvenile world where nature, violence, boredom and a strong cultural legacy have been claiming for decades the highest and saddest "toll". That of hundreds of young lives.





























says Pier Cassotti, the Italian photographer who pursued this multimedia project. For more information please visit his website, especially the Arctic Spleen Project.
I learned about the project via Burn, which is quite a good introdruction to his work.
What can I say - one of the most expressive and impressive documentary photography I encountered this year.
To me what makes documentary photography good is that it shows respect for the subject, respect for the people. And that it interests me in things I haven't been interested in before.
Right now I am wondering how Greenland's decision to lift the uranium and rare earths mining ban (see here for example) will influence the life of the people we see in Pier's photographs.
I can't remember thinking that much about Greenland before.

BTW: Delivery was fast - yes, the photo shows my copy's front cover ;-) - and the book is wonderful and high quality - Paper: Munken Lynx 150gr, Printing: Duotone Offset.

Comments